The Border Historical Society was formed on March 4, 1963 by people from the Eastport, Maine, area, with the goal of highlighting and preserving local history. Since that time it has honored that goal by:
preserving the "Barracks" building, built during the 1820s as an Officers Quarters for Fort Sullivan. Repairs to this building are a major goal for 2021.
monitoring the status of the deteriorated Powder House, built in 1814 by the British after they captured Fort Sullivan in 1814 and renamed it Fort Sherbrooke. Another goal is to restore the Powder House.
opening the Quoddy Craft Shop, with proceeds to fund Society activities and historic properties
providing a home for public display of the working model of the Passamaquoddy Tidal Power Project
publishing books, booklets and maps
featuring many historical presentations
presenting a multi-day commemoration in 2014 of the 1814 capture of Fort Sullivan by a British fleet, headed by Admiral Sir Thomas Masterman Hardy, protege of Horatio Nelson
presenting a commemoration in 2018 of the return of Fort Sullivan to US control in 1818